This information is based on government guidance retrieved April 2018.
When do I need to pay?
The dates below are deadlines, we recommend you make payments as soon as you can. You are required to make two payments ‘on account’ as a way of spreading your tax bill. These are payments in advance based on your previous year.
31st January – balancing payment for tax for the previous year.
– first payment on account.
31 July – second payment on account.
Your payment method must clear by the deadline in order to avoid surcharges. Make sure you leave enough time depending on the method you wish to use. The quickest way to pay HMRC is online.
How much do I need to pay?
How can I pay?
- online or telephone banking.
- online by card.
- at your bank or building society (with a HMRC payslip).
- Direct Debit.
- by cheque through the post.
- Online: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/pay-online/self-assessment
- By BACs: payments to HMRC Cumbernauld: https://www.gov.uk/pay-self-assessment-tax-bill/bank-details including your UTR as the reference.
- By cheque: you can print a payslip online http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/payinghmrc/payslip-sa1.htm and attach it to your cheque. Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue & Customs only’ followed by your UTR and the letter ‘K’. Send it to: HMRC, Direct BX5 5BD.
If you are having problems paying…
HMRC Self Assessment Payment Helpline
Telephone: 0300 200 3822
Call this helpline if you’ve missed your Self Assessment payment date.
8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm, Saturday
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.